Saturday, October 4, 2008

"I thought the safety was on"

It might be a little hard to see in this photo. But Hyrum was recently shot in the head with a BB gun. Hyrum and about 4 other boys his age were playing in an empty field behind our house. This field has a small creek that runs through it and so it has a lot of trees (every one refers to it as "the wash"). Anyway all these boys went down to play and explore and apparently one of the boys (who was home alone) went to his house and got his BB gun. He was pumping the gun a few times and then holding it up the boys heads and pulling the trigger so they could feel the puff of air that came out of the gun. When it was Hyrum's turn to be shot with air he got a little more than he bargained for.

The kids that were with him came running up the hill to get me and I could hear "Don't worry I'll get your mom." so I came out the back door to see what they needed me for and they started shouting at me "Hyrum got shot, Hyrum got shot." Since I didn't know with what or where I was shaking like a leaf by the time I got to him and looked at his head. His friend held the gun 2 inches from his forehead and shot. His friend kept saying "I'm sorry I thought the safety was on." (famous last words). Lucky for Hyrum the BB didn't break the skin so a little ice fixed him up. Needless to say that his friends mom got a phone call when she got home from work and he is now grounded from his gun till he is 12. I am still trying to figure out why anyone would stand there and let someone point a loaded BB gun 2 inches from your head. I don't think I'll ever understand what goes on in the mind of boys. I'm just thankful he wasn't badly injured and that he wasn't hit in the eye.

2 comments:

RP said...

Oh my goodness! That is so scary! I'm glad he's OK!

Lori said...

holy cow--that must have been terrifying! makes me kind of wish we all had implants in our kids that would transmit to us when they were doing something dangerous.